How to Apply
It's a competitive process that involves many stages.
You can find out more about each stage below, to help you prepare.
Application . . .
Applications open Monday 16th October 2017 and close midnight Sunday 29th October 2017.
First you’ll need to open the inspector advertisement from our current job vacancies and select apply online.
Complete all required fields in the application form and remember to attach your resume.
Your resume is the first piece of information we’ll see about you. It needs to be concise and align your skills and experience with the job description. Remember to include your:
- personal details - full name, preferred name, location and contact details
- education - qualifications, institutions, dates of study, majors and academic average
- work experience - industry or non-industry related
- skills - include any technical skills you have gained
- extracurricular activities – for example, sporting, volunteering, social, community or university engagement
Video Interview . . .
You’ll participate in a recorded question and answer-style video interview. We will ask you to answer 3 questions with less than two minutes each. Be prepared as you won’t have the option to start again. Also ensure you are in a quiet room with a minimum of distractions. If you are going through to this step, you will have heard from us by 13th Nov 2017.
Online Assessments . . .
You’ll need to complete a series of online aptitude assessments.
Assessment Centre . . .
We’ll invite you to one half-day Assessment Centre, which will be held between the 30th Nov and 5th Dec 2017 in Melbourne CBD. This will involve:
- meeting business leaders and current inspectors to find out more about us. This is also a great opportunity to ask questions
- an individual activity
- group activities
- role play a real-life inspector scenario
Psychometric Assessment . . .
You will complete an online psychometric assessment. There is no pass or fail for this assessment. Your responses help us learn more about you and understand your preferred working style.
Interview . . .
If you are successful to the interview stage we will have contacted you by the 22nd of December to let you know your interview date and time that will occur between the 15th to 31st Jan 2018. You will participate in a 45-minute interview with a panel of representatives from across WorkSafe. We’ll ask you some open-ended questions to determine how:
- you approach and solve problems. There’s no right answer; your ability to explain your thought process is what’s important
- your strengths and experiences can contribute to WorkSafe, now and in the future
- you work on your own and in a team
- you help others
- you navigate ambiguity
- you push yourself to grow outside of your comfort zone.
Remember, this is also a chance to ask us questions to ensure the work, the team and our culture are right for you.
Background Checks . . .
We will ask you to complete a background check, medical and provide the details of two referees for us to contact.
Job Offer . . .
We may then call to offer you a role as a WorkSafe Health and Safety Inspector.
You’ll need to accept our offer within 48 hours. Please call us if you have any questions about your offer.
We understand you may also be applying for roles with other organisations. Please let us know if you are still in the recruitment process or have received an offer from another organisation.
Induction Program and Probation . . .
If you are successful you must be available to commit to a 14-week, full-time induction program at Essendon Fields startin on Tuesday the 10th of April 2018.
You’ll be on a six month probation period, inclusive of the induction program.