What you need to be a Health and Safety Inspector
WorkSafe Health and Safety Inspectors are united by a genuine passion for health and safety. They care about ensuring Victorian workplaces are safe and that all workers return home to their loved ones at the end of the day.
It’s an exciting time to join WorkSafe as we strive to build a diverse workforce for the future – one that reflects the diversity of the Victorian community we serve. So ideally you will have gained experience across a variety of workplaces.
While not mandatory, we are particularly interested in hearing from people with a background or focus on Health & Safety within various industry sectors across Victoria in health services, manufacturing, logistics, agriculture, construction and earth resources (mining and quarries).
You will also have practical knowledge and experience of occupational health and safety through roles such as:
- Safety manager
- Health and safety representative
- OHS Nurse
- Safety consultant
- Member of an OHS committee
- Return to work coordinator
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
You will also be able to demonstrate:
- excellent communication skills and the ability to educate others
- conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- information-gathering and investigative skills
- sound knowledge and experience of current Victorian OHS legislation
- the ability to apply systems thinking to dealing with complex health and safety issues
- the ability to identify key issues and resolve problems
- the ability to work as part of a team
- the ability to manage your time effectively and work independently
- resilience in adverse situations
- adaptability to change
- computer skills (inspectors use a laptop computer to issue notices and directions)
- a current Victorian driver's license.
We prefer you hold a technical qualification in occupational health and safety, but it’s not mandatory. Typical qualifications held by our current inspectors include:
- Certificate IV in Occupational Health and Safety
- Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Graduate Diploma in Occupational Hazard Management